Claude Bergeret returned unopposed (Photo: ITTF)
The first and only French female player to strike gold at a World Championships, when she secured the mixed doubles title in partnership with the late Jacques Secretin in 1977 in Birmingham, on Saturday 11th December, there was another “first and only” for Claude Bergeret.
She was elected President of the Swaythling Club International, at the organisation’s first and only Annual General Meeting to be held virtually.
Furthermore, she becomes the first and only native of France to command the office.
Notably, she succeeds Ebby Schöler and is the ninth to hold the office since Victor Barna was elected at the inaugural meeting in 1967.
Later, in addition to Victor Barna and Ebby Schöler, Joe Veselsky, Zarko Dolinar, Johnny Leach, Ferenc Sido, Diane Schöler and Öivind Eriksen held the coveted position.
Claude Bergeret was elected unopposed as were all members of the Swaythling Club Executive Committee.
- President: Claude Bergeret (France)
- Deputy President: Reto Bazzi (Switzerland)
- Secretary: Harvey Webb (England)
- Treasurer: Richard Scruton (England)
- Committee Members: Lila de Soysa (Switzerland), Öivind Eriksen (Norway), Milan Orlowski (Czech Republic)
Additionally, all propositions were passed with large majorities
- The seat is in Switzerland – Mr Reto Bazzi, Grüdstrasse 32, CH- 3125 Toffen
- The membership committee ceases
- No sub-committees will be appointed
- A special administrator for membership data appointed
- The Executive Committee may appoint a special administrator for the address database of members
Matters closed with the universal agreement that Ebby Schöler be elected Honorary President and Hans Westling, since the very beginning Chair of the World Veteran Championships Committee, be Honorary Life Member.
A most harmonious gathering, matters led primarily by Claude Bergeret and Harvey Webb with Pierre Kass providing valuable technical support.
After two hours it was time bid farewell and look forward to the time when all could meet physically and not in outer space.